CocktailsandBooks

Cocktails and Books

The One & Only

The One & Only - Emily Giffin THE ONE AND ONLY is a realistic, poignant story about self discovery and love. Shea is in her thirties and has lived her entire life in Walker, a small town in Texas. In Walker, football is like a religion and the fans are more faithful to the game, than they are to their church. Shea lives and breathes football and knows all the football stats by heart. Guys are always impressed when she starts reciting everything she knows about the game of football.

Shea is intelligent, a talented writer and has a big heart, but up until this point, she’s just been drifting along. She hasn’t set any goals for herself and therefore she hasn’t accomplished much. Shea begins to question the path she’s on and wonders if she should make some changes. She isn’t sure why she’s dissatisfied with everything, but she knows her life isn’t going in the right direction. Shea tries to figure out what she wants and slowly makes changes in all aspects of her life. The people closest to Shea, don’t always agree with her decisions and she has to decide how important their opinions are to her. Along the way, Shea falls in love, but the man she’s in love with, is the last person everyone expects her to fall for.

At times, reading this story made me uncomfortable because I was surprised with the direction of the book. Emily Giffin tackles a few delicate subjects, including domestic abuse, rape and unconventional relationships. I don’t want to say more and give the plot away, but I will say this is a riveting, well written story with down to earth characters and lots of football.

Reviewed by Karen for Cocktails and Books