CocktailsandBooks

Cocktails and Books

A Matter of Forever

A Matter of Forever - Heather Lyons I don't know if I'm going to be able to put into words just how extraordinary this book (and the whole series for that matter) is. It's not often that I find myself in with a book hangover where nothing else I read can compare, but that's where I find myself with A MATTER OF FOREVER. So much happens in this book, characters evolve, relationships change and goodness prevails, but there is just something about this book that leaves you with a tiny bit of hope that regardless of what happens between Chloe, Jonah and Kellen, they will all find their happiness and it will one day be together. It's a fitting ending to a series that has absolutely knocked me off my feet.

There is a lot that happens in the book, especially when we get the answers about the Elders and why they were attacking. My only thought every time the Magicals got into a skermish with the Elders was, "Poor Chloe is going to get her ass handed to her again." The girl took a lot of abuse, but it proved a point about the evolution of the Creator in regards to the Magical hierarchy and what those ancient Elders never understood about their roles. They were all about the take, while Chloe wanted what was good for all the trillions she was charged over...whether it was creating or destroying. In the end, that is what helped them win in that battle of good versus evil.

Ultimately, this final book was about the connection between Chloe, Jonah and Kellen. These three characters were in a situation that no one would want. Torn apart by their love for one another and the guilt when that love hurts one of more of the triad. Their emotions almost play a secondary character to everything else in their story. But it was Chloe who did the most growing throughout the series and it shows in this book. She made her decision and she's sticking to it. She knows who her connection is, truly, and she's not going to make the mistakes that have torn them apart in the past. I wanted to applaud her, especially when you knew it was killing her to not fall back into her old patters. But at the same time, it was new outlook on the relationship that had me ugly, ugly, crying at the end. BAWLING. She understood why decision were made, because it's what she had attempted to do at the end of book 2. At the same time, she was devastated. Instead of doing what she used to do, which was grasp on and plead until she got her way, she decided to live by the adage: if you love something, set it free. And that she did, hoping and praying in the end everyone found their happiness.

After reading this series (and DEEP END OF THE SEA, which I adored as well) Heather Lyons is now on my "must buy" list. She has a way of creating the emotionally gripping characters that stick with you well after you've finished the book (there are still time, days later, where I find myself thinking about something that happened in this book...which could spark tears if it's a certain scene). She's a genius storyteller and I'm ever so grateful she created Chloe, Jonah and Kellen's story. They will stay with me for a very, very long time.